Natural Resources

Geological Survey Logo

Crest

Crest

The Geological Survey logo is a relatively recent symbol for a venerable agency. Conceived and adopted in 1991, the crest is a contemporary representation of the Survey as the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador's Geoscience agency. However, the date of 1864 on the inside-bottom of the crest circle harkens back to a time when the Island of Newfoundland was a colony of Great Britain, and the year when Alexander Murray was appointed by the governor as the first director of the Geological Survey of Newfoundland.

Since 1864, the Survey has had many directors and several guises within government resource departments. Eventually its area of mapping and research included Labrador, the mainland portion of the province. The crest captures the full area of provincial responsibility for Survey geoscientific studies with the depiction of a red-infilled map of Newfoundland and Labrador. The diverse geoscientific studies are symbolized on the crest by crossed geological hammers in blue, overprinted by the red map, all on a white background. This configuration is surrounded by a yellow circular band that contains the words Geological Survey at the top and Newfoundland and Labrador at the bottom. The colours red, blue and yellow reflect the official colours of the provincial flag.

The Survey crest is printed on Survey publications and other materials that promote the Geological Survey and its work. Since its inception, the crest has been used as stickers, on photo-scale cards and as lapel pins. It is also proudly displayed on Survey exhibits at national conferences and mining trade shows. Whenever used, the crest highlights the contemporary role and historical origins of the Geological Survey of Newfoundland and Labrador.

- R. F. Blackwood

 
Last Updated:
This page and all contents are copyright, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, all rights reserved.