Natural Resources

Flooding

Date: September 19, 1846

Location: St. John’s

Easting: 370000

Northing: 5266500

Latitude: 47° 34' 00" N

Longitude: 52° 44' 00" W

Fatalities: 0

Injuries: 0

Source: Daily News, September 22, 1946.

Every bridge crossing the river from Quidi Vidi to Long Pond was either removed or damaged by the floodwaters. King’s Bridge was entirely destroyed. The River-head Bridges was also damaged. The centre part of the long bridge leading to the South Side, opposite Hon. R. Job’s cottage, was carried away, as were several smaller bridges in other directions. Very serious injury was sustained at Rennie’s Mill Works. The sudden rise of the rivers and streams was attributed to the prevalence of extreme drought which made the earth almost impervious to water. The rate of rainfall was too great to be absorbed by the ground thereby was forced to form its own channels to the nearest streams resulting in the river becoming swollen to such an extent to damage the numerous bridges.

 
Last Updated:
This page and all contents are copyright, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, all rights reserved.